Wednesday 8 July 2009

Googles OS - why I didn't bet!

It's everywhere I feel I should write something about this here... Google have annoucned their making an Operating system to contest with Linux, Windows and OSx: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8139711.stm

The reason I'm writing about it is that I want to say what I think their plan will be so when it happens I can refer back to this post and go I predicted this much like me and my brother predicted them eventually making a OS after releasing Chrome, if only we'd laid a bet on it happening!

My predictions, Chrome OS, will be a very slim lined OS think Iphone style, based fully around a online content, with everything being stored online and not on your computers memory with small apps accessing this data as requested. I feel googles aim here is that you could log into anyone's computer running chrome and have your desktop with you, true cloud computing style. Much like it is within any buisness hot desking etc. This will mean google will own everything.. a scary thought but with Googles track record I'm happy for this to happen!

What this will mean for E-Learning... with the lack of need for a resource hungry computer we can have very cheep and small netbooks running Chrome OS perfectly fine. Which will hopefully mean E-learning will be accessible to far many more people (not that there are an abundance of people without computers in the UK). From an Learning Technologists Point of view, I'm going to have to learn how to code for Chromes apps, and will have to create more online resources, (which is what I mostly do now).

Errm that's all I have for now, feel like a pleb for saying all this but just don't want it to emerge later and for me to have been right but with no evidence that I thought all this. I might be totaly off here but still that's my say.

And lastly... It's already made! The Chome browser was just released no hype no nothing because, google sent a publicity person the wrong link, I rekon they've already made Chome OS...

2 comments:

Nick Sharratt said...

Genus. Not the idea as I think many are predicting much the same, but the idea to document predictions on a blog. That way if it happens, it can be referred to smuggly - and if it doesn't it can be quietly ignored or even deleted ;-)

Stephen Hodge said...

Tis true! Wish I'd posted one last year when I assumed Google would make an OS! How smug would I be feeling right now!