Wednesday 27 May 2009

START - Website

I've been given this delightful project via Avril Butler, START stands for Students and Refugees Together, their a charity started by Avril which works with many Social Work students (hence my involvement) .

After my first meeting with them it's become apparent that this is going to be a fun project. Particularly that I'm not to restrained with technologies i.e. not tied down to SharePoint (not that there's anything wrong with SharePoint). But it does mean I get to do some coding etc. The Aim's of this project are to freshen up their current website:



And make it more Web2.0 well intially they indicated they wanted it to look nice and have areas to update. I felt that having some structured formal areas i.e. about us, history etc which arn't going to change to keep them straight html i.e. I'll make them and they'll stay that way but have image galleries, and blogs which are driven by themselves.

Which this is where the exciting bits come in, the photo galleries, shall be driven by flikr, and the blogs by blogger and obviously have a twitter feed etc. It should be a true mash up!

Annoyingly they currently have some lame hosting with Mr Site, which is shocking and very restricting so I'm hopeing we can change this or use their own servers. So whilst I wait for this to be finalised I've been researching how to import all these 2.0 technologies into one page:

Twitter was quite easy.
Blogger is a little bit more complicated and requires me to use something called MagpieRss, which essentially embeds the RSS feeds from your blog into a html page.
Picassa (googles version of Flickr), requires you to install Googles API to access full functionality, however it does enable it to be hugely flexible and will hopefully result in seamless transitions between site and Picassa.

The majority of the software and technologies I'm going to be using on this project will be based around OpenSource or Free Software, and I'm hoping to maintain Creative Commons throughout this project which fits with my own views and hopefully suits the fact that I'm working with a Charity.

No comments: