Monday 16 August 2010

SharePoint 2010... what the?!

Hello all, well what an interesting month, I've had you might have noticed tulip has had a little bit of a refresh this is due to it being updated to SharePoint 2010 (for those techy's interested). Groan more change I hear you say, well yes this is progress (otherwise we'd still be driving about in Roman Chariots). Well this update has brought with it a number of frustrated emails/calls directed to myself and support desk, which is completely understandable, the aim of this post is to hopefully clear up some of the common issues...

What's changed?
Well where do we start... the most obvious thing which hits you with this update is the different layout and design of the SharePoint pages, most notably this ribbon along the top of the page.


This is consistent regardless of the page your on within Tulip and gives contextual information depending upon which page your on. Such as a document library displays this:


Each site has greater flexibility for customising your site design (which is out of the scope of this overview however please email me if you would like further information).

The update also has technology/ideas "borrowed" from social networks such as "I like it" and "Tags and Notes", the idea behind this being students (or staff), can add these to documents of importance etc which will  hopefully help other students in their studies.

One major change the university has done with this update is scrap the constant renewing of sites. i.e. your Stage 1 site for 2010 students will be the same site for Stage 1 students in 2011... This will hopefully mean less work migrating your sites come September. I encourage you to really think about the content you upload or add to your sites as a little extra effort and planning to start with will hopefully mean you won't have to update much extra information every year.

Right that's all fine and well but I'm still teaching 09 students how do I get back to my old sites?!

https://oldtulip.plymouth.ac.uk/sites/ltsitedirectory/Pages/MyModules.aspx

All I want to do is upload my course material but I can't see the upload button:
Well as mentioned this top band is contextual depending upon which page your on, if your within a document library such as "Shared Documents":

From the Shared Documents page click on the Documents option at the top. This will bring up some options for your Documents library, very similar to the drop down menu under the "new" button on the old system:

If your using Internet explorer you have the option to upload single files or multiple files (if your using anything else you can only upload single files).

One thing I like about the multiple documents upload option is you can simply drag and drop multiple files (and folders) into that blue box.

Anything else I should know?! 
Well yes, however I shall leave it at that for now, please email me if there's anything extra you'd like to know. I've heard a couple of reports about My Sites being blank, if this has happened to you please simply email support desk.


How to I get permissions on these new sites? 
All you need to know is in the following image:

Well hope this was of some use, prior to writing this post I had loads of ideas of what to write about but during the process of the said writing these ideas evaporated! Please comment/email me if you have any further queries! Training sessions can also be arranged!

1 comment:

Jason Truscott said...

Some very useful tips. Seems there is some commonality across the schools, as we've been getting similar things. Thanks for sharing.