Monday 27 April 2009

Plymouth E-Learning conference...

Last week was Plymouth E-Learning conference which I quite enjoyed well done Steve and everyone else evolved in putting on the event..

First thing's first I went there to present my E-Portfolio project which sadly I felt I missed the point of presenting at such a conference, I'd prepared a presentation which would have been fitting had it been in a room full of people within Plymouth University wanting to know more about how flexible Share Point can be (with a little bit of hacking). And to know some of my struggles with both Share Point and Pebble Pad to be able to learn from these issues in their own work... However this conference was more about how this tool was effective not how we made it. So I had to slightly adapt my presentation on the fly and feel as a result I missed both points completely. Obviously managed to get some points across but had I done some ground work before it could have gone down a little bit better. Still least I can put it on my CV that I've presented at such an event! If you would like to know more about this E-Portfolio project please see a prior post.
Publish Post


Next thing with the conference was to check out what other people have been up to and developed.



Turning Point
Both Bath University and our own Medical/Dentistry school own a load of these Audience Response hardware. Basically its Who Wants to be a Millionaire... or a unique ability to allow your lecture hall/class to flock together.

Our Medical School has used them to see how the ability of the class as a whole has progressed or if they know certain areas of the subject already they can move on or learn more about that area if the classes knowledge is low. I thought it was an amazing tool as it means you get a response of the whole class a joint body not just individual marks and was interested if James Surowiecki theory that the joint body will get the complex answers correct or not. This was the case on simple questions but on more complex questions it seemed they as a whole wouldn't get it right. However this doesn't disprove James's theory it actually proves it... slightly since the crowd has to be of a mixed ability and knowledge, a crowed in a specific lecture asking questions about that said specific lecture means the crowed is of equal knowledge and interests therefor not fulfilling James's theory. However it is still interesting!

This technology seems really exciting as lectures can teach their mob exactly what they want to know not what the lecturer has planned but what the mob needs to know to bump up their areas of less knowledge simply by asking them a couple of questions. BONUS!

Rumour has it that EDALT might be purchasing a simular setup so might be able to implement simular things with my Faculty... SCORE!

No comments: